After a 20 minutes breathtaking drive from Positano, we arrived to Amalfi. So close but yet so different! Here is my Amalfi Coast Travel Guide which includes some of the best restaurants and boutique hotels in Amalfi!
A Dreamy Amalfi Coast Travel Guide
To be honest, it was a bit of a shock to arrive at this busy and crowded town filled with cruise and daily tour tourists. Arriving in our own car did not make it easier as you had to drive through the main pedestrian street to reach the one and only parking lot in town. At first glance, it felt that there were more people than space in this pretty little town and it is hard to imagine that it once had more than 70 000 inhabitants and was a maritime superpower. Sadly, most of the old city together with its populations disappeared into the deep blue sea in an earthquake in the early 1300 century.
Once dawn settled in and the day tourists returned back to their cruise ships and nests, the true beauty of this bright diamond started to appear.
Unlike Positano, the sun-filled main square and street are nestled in between the mountains and thus more flat. Furthermore, you can easily walk from one end to the other in 20 minutes. We slowly started to explore the streets, the squares, well, all picturesque corners of Amalfi!
Discovering this Mediterranean Gem
A late lunch at the popular Marina Grande, a family-owned beachfront restaurant. It does not look too impressive from the outside but as soon as you enter this place you are struck by the friendly and authentic atmosphere and the beautiful view. Most of all the seafood pasta was just amazing, based on locally sourced and organically produced ingredients.
Amalfi By Night
Shines bright like a diamond – Amalfi in the evenings. Once dawn has settled in, the white houses climbing onto the mountains gives Amalfi a white beautiful shimmer contrasting to the grey mountains and the deep blue sea. This is the time to stroll along the short boardwalk and visit the beach!
Beyond the main street in the older part of town, you will find hidden down side streets, tunnels, colorful houses and narrow stairs leading you up the mountainside. Furthermore, this is where people live and some of the best hotels and restaurants are located.
If we have not been met by a nice porter, we would never have found Amalfi Luxury House – the first of our boutique hotels in Amalfi, for two days! Entering the door you find the cutest little back yard in all my favorite colors and a steep staircase leading up to the hotel.
Boutique Hotels in Amalfi – So Enchanting!
Amalfi Luxury House is newly refurbished with a modern touch still keeping all original and beautiful features, like the amazing floor! Our suite was nicely designed with a big a comfy bed, modern bathroom and a lovely balcony overlooking the heart of Amalfi and if you looked to the left you could even get a glimpse of the sea! Stepping up the see-through stairs and you will reach the rooftop. Our favorite spot for breakfast and afternoon chilling!
If you want to escape the crowd during the day and get a relaxing and luxurious day in a beach club you do not have to go far!
Would you like to stay at Amalfi Luxury House. THEN BOOK IT HERE!
5 minutes from the city center is Santa Catarina, a 5-star luxury hotel, located on a cliff. The hotel is such nicely decorated in a mix of antique and modern style. It is easy to get lost in all rooms and corridors but it is the views from the many terraces that take your breath away. Even the elevator down to the beach club offers a magnificent view.
The Beach Club is located on a rock platform, between the edge of the sea and the dramatic cliffs. The scenery is stunning, a perfect spot for a relaxing day, reading a book or just dreaming away to the sound of the waves! The service was 5 star and the lunch by the sun bed was delicious. Already looking forward to the next visit!
Would you like to stay at Santa Caterina. THEN BOOK IT HERE!
Dining Out in Amalfi
When it comes to dinner you have to explore a bit. The best restaurants are to be found in the small streets beyond the main street. Unfortunately, they are not always so easy to find!
Just around the corner from our hotel, in a hidden yard, we found Pizzeria Donna Stella. A family-owned pizza restaurant which is know for its delicious fast food. The pizzas and wine were for sure tasty. Eating in the cosy yard under a heaven of lemon trees made the experience even better!
Finally, as we were not in the mood for white dining during our days in Amalfi, we tried out another local favorite, Il Teatro. Also a family owned restaurant with the entire family working. Furthermore, no extras in terms of design, but great pasta, lovely atmosphere and if you are into football this is the place to be!
So our two Amalfi days turned out to be great! Amalfi is for sure worth a visit! Although if you do not like the crowds, you better escape during daytime! It is in the evenings when Amalfi shines bright like a Diamond!
More on Travel with a Silver Lining
As you can see from Amalfi Coast travel guide, this is one of my top destinations. I have written lots of posts about it so if you need inspiration or support before you are booking check them out below.
- MY TOP 4 AMALFI COAST BOUTIQUE HOTELS
- POSITANO, YOU STOLE MY HEART
- AMALFI COAST ROAD TRIP
- RAVELLO THE ROMANTIC TREASURE HIGH UP IN THE MOUNTAINS
Go beyond Amalfi and check out some of my other posts!
- I love Rome and tend to return here over and over again. Do not miss my posts about MY DAYS IN ROME, MY ROME TRAVEL GUIDE, THE TOP 2 LUXURY BOUTIQUE HOTELS IN ROME as well as THE BEST HIP EATERIES IN ROME.
- For more beautiful boutique hotels around the world, check out my list of The Best Luxury Lodgings of 2018!
- Get my favourite fashion tips and secrets on the Travel in Style section of the blog!
- For another breathtaking place on the Mediterranean, check out my post on the 17 Most Instagram Worthy Spots in Mykonos!
- Check out my top 3 posts: My Lisbon Instagram Guide, My Favorite Trendy Restaurants in Moscow, and my Amalfi Coast Photography Guide.
Booking Support & Input
- Flight. MOMONDO offers once-in-a-lifetime flight deals to the Amalfi Coast. Download their all-in-one travel app HERE!
- Transfers. For airport transfer from Naples, BOOK A PRIVATE HERE or a SHARED HERE.
- Hotels. Find the lodging of your dreams in the Amalfi Coast through BOOKING.COM, HERE!
- Guide. I love to explore cities beyond the crowd and what can be better than doing it with a local guide? Check out THIS COOL SITE & SERVICE HI, HI, where you can book customised tours with a local!
- Tour. For a great range of tours, check out ALL GET YOUR GUIDE TOURS HERE. I always book tours with them as they are great and easy to book online in advance. Check out their Amalfi guide, below!
Did you like this Amalfi Coast travel guide and want to save it or share it with others? Then see some pins for boutique hotels in Amalfi below!