We fell in love the minute we arrived: what else to expect when you visit magnificent Rome! The historical heritage, the architecture, the picturesque streets, the delicious food, wine and ice creams, the bustling city life and the passionate and friendly Italians. Pretty much all you need for a perfect city weekend! It always feels as though the must see in Rome is the entire city.
Gens Luxury Suites – Our elegant Little Boutique Hotel
Being a boutique hotel lover, I was very happy to find our cute little hotel, Gens Luxury Suites. On the 3rd floor of an apartment building, just a block away from an ultimate must see in Rome: Piazza Navona. Just outside our doorsteps also stood the picturesque hood of Via Dei Coronari. Our Cornelia suite was decorated in an elegant, yet charming style, with a cosy bed and a living room in lounge style. The modern and bright bathroom with the trendy bathtub and a daily spa package as a gift, just made it even better.
Would you like to stay at Gens Luxury Suite. THEN BOOK IT HERE!
The food, the wine and the nights out
Rome truly has a lot to offer but still, the late afternoons and evenings are the best. Relaxing in a must see in Rome, Piazza dei Coronari, watching people pass by while sipping on a glass of Italian wine. The pasta and the pizza, the delicious food from every corner of the world and last but not least, the ice cream. The Nocciola flavor – I got addicted! The temptations are never-ending in this city!
Restaurants in Rome
We had a great dinner at the hip multi-concept – Etabli – a must see in Rome if you are in these parts. The antipasto, the pasta, and the Amarone wine were truly delicious. I loved the design, mixing old and new, giving it almost a mystic feeling! Of course, we ended the evening with some drinks, sitting outside in the patio of the popular Bar del Fico.
We had a truly local experience filled with Barolo, Brunello, and pizza in the laidback and busy family-owned Il Corallo. As with most family-owned restaurants in Rome, there is no frill or extra in terms of design. Still, one must see in Rome is living the simple and authentic life of the city.
Pizza time @Il Corallo
Places to eat in Rome
An evening in the area of Trastevere turned out to be a hit especially if you dine at Osteria Fernanda. A contemporary little gem offering a culinary experience in line with the best white dining options in town but at half of the price tag. Located in the middle of an apartment area, you will not find Osteria Fernanda, if not searching. It’s a must see in Rome for foodies looking for new things!
But this place is worth searching for. The modern and I would say a bit of Scandinavian inspired design, the atmosphere and last but not least the amazing food and wine list, makes it all worth a visit! Try out their duck and risotto!
We walked along the river and soon found the heart of the restaurant hoods of Trastevere. Streets and squares lined by restaurants and filled with people. However we ended the evening with an ice cream at the popular ice cream bar Fatamorgana and enjoyed the streets, squares and evening vibe of Trastevere!
Must See in Rome
But when in Rome you also have to explore – travel back in time – to experience some of the most amazing heritages of our ancestors. As it was Fredrik’s first time in Rome, we visited every must see in Rome – or at least most of them…
First out was our fourth wonder of the world! During our 81 Day Vacay in South America, we started a quest with the aim to see all the wonders of the world. The ultimate must see in Rome, the Colosseum, was next in line. Having visited this amazing place once before, I still got struck by the architecture and history of this place. And if you use your imagination you can almost hear the people chanting and imagining the cruel game taking place in front of your eyes.
We strolled through the remains of Forum Romanum and made a visit to the beautiful Altare della Patria at Piazza Venezia on our way home. The ancient parts are a must see in Rome: truly special, they quickly bring you back in time!
We threw coins in Fontana di Trevi. One of the most stunning fountains I have seen and a must see in Rome – but also one of the most crowded ones. Let’s hope our coins will bring us love and who knows, maybe some wedding bells in the future:)!
The Charm of a City that Was Once the Center of the World…
We admired the former Roman temple and must see in Rome, the Pantheon, and returned here in the evening. The time of the day when it is most beautiful if you ask me. We enjoyed a drink with a beautiful view at the popular Salotto 42 at Piazza di Pietra.
Having Piazza Navona as our neighbor, we got some quiet morning time in this beautiful square before tourists arrived. We also had a well-deserved break in another must see in Rome: the beautiful Spanish Steps.
We strolled along Tibern, got captured by the gorgeous view with the St. Peter’s Basilica in the background and for the first time, we visited the Vatican Museum. The beauty that is found in here is hard to describe and it’s no wonder it’s a must see in Rome. The art, the carpets, the paintings, the sculptures, the rooms – well everything is just amazing!
So how about shopping? Then you cannot leave Rome without at least 2 pairs of golden shoes, can you? Besides, every must see in Rome deserves to be visited with a lovely pair. There’s your excuse!
We had some lovely days in Rome and I hope the coins in the Fontana di Trevi will not only bring us love but also bring us back to this magnificent city in the near future!
More from Travel with a Silver Lining
Rome is one of the most essential cities in the west, and it has been for thousands of years. Any Rome travel guide will tell you that a visit is a bucket-list must! Here are some of my posts on Italy’s incredible capital:
- Looking to stay at the Eternal City? Read about one of my favorite hotels in the city, the luxurious Gens Luxury Suites Rome, in my REVIEW! If you want more hotel options, check out my post on my TOP 2 SMALL LUXURY HOTELS in town!
- For more activities in the city, check out my post on The Best of Rome and my Rome Travel Guide: Top 10 Best Places To Visit In Rome!
- If you’re heading towards the Mediterranean in the summer, you might need some fashion tips. How about checking my 8 Must-Have Outfits For Your Vacation To The Sun post?
- Check out my top 3 posts: My Lisbon Instagram Guide, My Favorite Trendy Restaurants in Moscow, and my Amalfi Coast Photography Guide.
Booking Support & Input
- Flights. MOMONDO will let you find the best prices for your Rome flight. CLICK HERE to download their amazing all-in-one travel app!
- Transfer. Book a transfer from Rome airport to your hotel in advance, and save yourself the wait. GET IT HERE!
- Hotel. To find the perfect lodging for your stay, whether you’re looking to splurge or save up a little, head to BOOKING.COM, where your dream hotel awaits.
- Guide. HI, HI offers really amazing tours given by actual locals who love to show their beautiful city to visitors, so they can get to know the real Rome!
- Tours. The only possible downside to Rome is that it can get very crowded with tourists, making it difficult to see the beautiful landmarks from centuries past. That’s just when GET YOUR GUIDE becomes super handy, offering exclusive tours to enjoy the great places without the crowds. Just like this Borghese Gallery Masterpieces & Gardens: Skip-the-Line Tour!
- For more incredible experiences from GET YOUR GUIDE, check out their Rome city guide!
Did you like this must see in Rome post and want to save it or share it with others? Then see some pins below!