Costa Rica took our hearts and so did the Costa Rica hotels – all thanks to the adrenaline rush of all the adventure, the beautiful nature and secluded beaches! As a hub for nature lovers, quite developed in terms of tourism. There’s something from every budget, from backpacker-friendly lodgings to the best hotels in Costa Rica, places that we liked. The prices of the most luxurious places to stay in Costa Rica are relatively high due to the developed tourism still many of the places to stay in Costa Rica are great. . Plus, in our experience, Costa Rica beach resorts are dreamy!
A pioneer in eco-tourism, Costa Rica hotels are all about blending in with the environment. Boutique hotels are rare in the country, but the love for nature of the best hotels in Costa Rica makes up for it. You can certainly feel the love for the Earth on places like Costa Rica beach resorts. And that makes for a great boutique feeling.
Read more about our 3 places to stay in Costa Rica!
Arenal Volcano Inn – Perfectly Located Among Costa Rica Hotels
- Design & Boutique Feeling: 3
- Room & Other Facilities: 4
- Food & Drinks: 3
- Service: 4
- Location: 5
Arenal Volcano Inn is about as close as you’ll get to boutique among the best hotels in Costa Rica. With 25 rooms accommodating different numbers of guests, it isn’t really boutique. It’s more like a set of bungalows, but there’s still a palpable effort in making it personal. Costa Rica hotels are more about a nice experience than perhaps a traditionally luxurious one.
A jungle-friendly spot, it has perhaps the most perfect location of all Costa Rica hotels. At the skirts of the Arenal Volcano, you’ll get a magical view each morning, particularly on larger bungalows. You’ll feel your breath slipping you when waking up to this wonder, and later falling asleep to its sounds.
Our bungalow was big and comfy, and as many places to stay in Costa Rica, it was nature-focused. It’s also very near all the adventurous activities in the area, which makes transportation easier. The staff was very professional and accommodating, making it one of the best hotels in Costa Rica for us.
The food was average but overall, it’s a really energizing gem among places to stay in Costa Rica!
Read more about my Costa Rican adventures on my travel story, here!
Would you like to stay at Arenal Volcano Inn. THEN BOOK IT HERE!
Ylang Ylang – One of the Best Hotels in Costa Rica Beach Resorts
- Design & Boutique Feeling: 4
- Room & Other Facilities: 4
- Food & Drinks: 4
- Service: 4
- Location: 5
A paradise by the Pacific, Ylang Ylang is natural beauty at its finest. This gem among Costa Rica beach resorts stands on the secluded beach of Montezuma. Here, it feels as though the Pacific exists solely for you. However, it’s still a 10-minute walk away from the chill surfer village, with its many cute cafés. Ylang Ylang is one of the best Costa Rica hotels!
What sets this apart from other Costa Rica beach resorts is its communion with the nature around it. Here, you stay right in the jungle, yet only steps away from the bright blue ocean. It’s just what makes this one of the best hotels in Costa Rica!
This beautiful example of Costa Rica hotels might not be luxurious, but it’s a true joy. The design is simple and all built to be one with nature. It’s easily among the best hotels in Costa Rica. Here, you feel truly connected to the Earth. It’s been called one of the most scenic Costa Rica beach resorts, and it’s easy to see why!
We stayed in a very spacious bungalow with a nice terrace, where you’ll hear all the sweet sounds around you. You’ll be lulled to sleep by the waves, the salty smell of the ocean, the birds chirping in the jungle.
As one of the top places to stay in Costa Rica, you’ll find plenty of ways to relax here. Their yoga and massage facilities are wonderful, perfect to prepare for the hectic life outside this oasis. A gem among Costa Rica beach resorts!
If you’re looking for a more adventurous option in Montezuma, Ylang Ylang also offers small and cheaper tents. You’ll definitely feel like you’re camping.
Read more about this paradise among Costa Rica hotels on my Costa Rica travel story!
Would you like to stay at Ylang Ylang. THEN BOOK IT HERE!
Hotel Cala Lodge Monteverde – One of the More Adventurous Places to Stay in Costa Rica
- Design & Boutique feeling: 2
- Room & Other Facilities: 2
- Food & Drinks: 3
- Service: 3
- Location: 3
As Monteverde is a backpacking destination, you won’t find the best hotels in Costa Rica around here. What the Hotel Cala Lodge Monteverde does provide is experiencing the true country, without touristic embellishments. However, it’s basically in the middle of nowhere and the roads leading there weren’t great.
Unlike our other Costa Rica hotels, the standard rooms here left us craving for more, as they were small, humid and cold. There wasn’t anything special about them, particularly as we came from pouring rain and needed something comforting. They do, however, offer suites, so if staying here that’s what I’d recommend. You’re not staying in one of the best hotels in Costa Rica here, so it’s best to set up a spot that’s as comfy as possible.
This is the least impressive of the Costa Rica hotels we visited, although the forest setting was astounding. The service was also very friendly and personal and it is a good value for money option, even though not a hotel in my style!
One major downside here is that they don’t serve food all day, only breakfast. This is a pretty big issue considering how isolated the hotel is. You can find restaurants about a 10-minute walk away, but the roads are very dark, so I’d recommend a flashlight. We had dinner at rustic sweetheart Restaurante de Lucía, a family-owned eatery. They serve lovely home-cooked meals, with a warm atmosphere, a real break from our damp hotel room.
While not one of the best hotels in Costa Rica, Casa Lodge is a solid value for money place. We might have had a better experience staying at the suites, but we had to save for our three-month trip!
Would you like to stay at Hotel Cala Lodge. THEN BOOK IT HERE!
More from Travel with a Silver Lining
- Do you want to read more hotel reviews like this one on Costa Rica hotels an places to stay in Costa Rica? Then check out all my other hotel review posts here!
- Except for this post about the best hotels in Costa Rica and Costa Rica beach resorts, check out my full Costa Rica Travel Guide!
- Looking for more adventures then, read all about the Inca Trail in my Inca Trail Travel Story & Travel Guide as well as our trip to the Iguazu Falls in my Travel Guide.
- If you love boutique hotels, check out my post about a new favorite in Sydney, Australia!
- Check out my top 3 posts: 18 Instagram Spots in Lisbon, My Amalfi Coast Photography Guide and the Top 10 Hipster Restaurants in Moscow!
Booking Support & Input
- Decided on traveling to Costa Rica? Momondo is the place to find the best deals on flights to this beautiful Central American country. If you haven’t downloaded the app yet, do it HERE!
- Find the best hotels in Costa Rica through Booking.com. Click here for La Fortuna lodgings, here for Monteverde, and here for Montezuma!
- Once you reach San Jose Airport in the Costa Rica capital, you won’t want to wait for the adventure to begin. Book a transfer from the airport to La Fortuna here. You can then book transport between La Fortuna and Monteverde, and let the adventure continue!
- Through Get Your Guide, you can find the unique experiences that can make your trip unforgettable. Why not take this lovely La Fortuna: Guided Twilight Wildlife Safari and get to know the flora and fauna? And check out their top Costa Rica tours, below!
Did you like my post about the best hotels in Costa Rica and Costa Rica beach resorts and want to save it for later or share it with others? Find some pins for my Costa Rica hotels & Costa Rica beach resorts and places to stay in Costa Rica below!