For us, Cusco was just a place to get prepared for the Inca Trail but the 1,5 days here have shown to be so much more. Cusco gives you a sneak peek into the Inca world, into another time. The history of the Incas the main among things to do in Cusco – in the buildings, the atmosphere, the handcraft, and the people. It is very different from anything we have seen and experienced before! Read about what to see in Cusco, below!
The old part of Cusco is true evidence of the history with colonial buildings built upon Incan foundations together with modern restaurants and influences. This city has a true soul and a history that no one can escape. Of course some part of it is a bit touristic but still in a charming way!
What to See in Cusco: A World of Colour
After having taken all this in, or at least some of it, it is the colours of this city that captures your attention. The local handcraft, the art, all fabrics are full of colours and I wished my suitcase was bigger or not so full so I could bring a lot of these colours home! If you’re wondering what to see in Cusco – here’s a sneak peak to give you an idea!
Things to do in Cusco: Visiting Plaza de Armas!
When strolling the narrow streets around the biggest plaza, Plaza De Armas del Cusco you realize that they are full of secrets if you just enter the yards. If you wonder what to see in Cusco, this is the place to start. Here you can find charming cafes & restaurants, hotels, galleries or just a lovely garden with pink flowers, of course, colorful too. You get obsessed, or at least we did, it is like entering a “no filter” world. All the photos just look perfect, and you just can not stop photographing…
But arriving to Cusco is not just a story filled with history and colours. Cusco is located 3500 meters up in the mountains and getting here is an adventure in itself. The flight here was a true roller coaster! Finally being on safe ground we both got a bit altitude sick. Tonnes of Coca Tea and water later we are back on track and ready for tomorrow’s adventure. At this time tomorrow we will probably be sleeping… in a cold tent!
More from Travel with a Silver Lining After What to See in Cusco
- Read about more things to do in Cusco in my travel guide!
- Now that you’ve read about what to see in Cusco, all about our Inca trail adventure. Here’s the travel story and here’s the travel guide!
- Go beyond Machu Picchu and its surroundings when visiting Peru – you’ll be surprised by its wonders. Check out my Lima travel story, travel guide, and restaurant guide!
- For more adventures in Latin America, read my Costa Rica itinerary and my Iguazu falls travel guide!
- Check out my top 3 posts for travel inspo: My Lisbon Instagram Guide, My Amalfi Photography Guide, and my Favorite Hipster Moscow Restaurants!
Booking Input & Support
- Start preparing your list of what to see in Cusco after finding the best flight rates with Momondo. Download their app HERE!
- Booking.com offers a wide variety of lodgings. Book your stay in Cusco here!
- Don’t wait around and book your transfer from the airport to your hotel here!
- Get Your Guide has breathtaking tours and experiences in Cusco and just about everywhere else. Check out this Humantay Lagoon Full Day Tour with Meals tour and then see the Cusco city guide below.
Did you like this post on things to do in Cusco and want to save it for later or share it with others? Find some pins for things to do in Cusco, below!